A Quick Guide to the Defense Base Act

A Quick Guide to the Defense Base Act

Dec 9, 2021 | Defense Base Act

Have you found yourself struggling to cope whilst fighting to protect your country? Have you suffered due to the nature of your work? 

If the answer is yes to either of the above, the Defense Base Act is in place to get you the compensation you deserve. At Barnes Law firm, our specialist team of Defense Base Act lawyers are here to support you no matter what.

However, you may have questions about the DBA and how it can benefit you. Read on to find out more information about the process of making a DBA claim in our ultimate Defense Base Act guide.

What Is The Defense Base Act?

The Defense Base Act is a compensation statute for federal employees. It covers any individual employed on a contractual basis working overseas.

The Defense Base Act provides financial benefits and support to contractors sustaining injuries whilst working outside of the U.S, usually for the Department of State or Defense.

Who Does The Defense Base Act Cover?

The Defense Base Act will cover any employee who:

  • is a private employee on a U.S military base
  • is employed to undertake public work, for example, construction, in relation to national defense or war efforts
  • works on contracts approved under the Foreign Assistance Act
  • is employed as a subcontractor

There are a number of professions that are covered by insurance under the Defense Base Act, including engineers, interpreters, security workers, couriers, and clerical staff.

How Do I File A Defense Base Act Claim?

If you have sustained an injury whilst on the job, there are certain steps you must take to make a claim for compensation. Our specialist lawyers will make sure that you reap all the DBA benefits you are entitled to. 

Step 1: File an LS-203

Before you can make a Defense Base Act claim, you need to file an LS-203 (a compensation claim). You then need to provide information about your injury to the Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs.

Step 2: Your Claim Will Be Handled By Your District Office

When you first make a claim, this will be transferred to the New York Department Labor Office, and, after checking where you live, the relevant district will be notified.

You will then be given a claims examiner who can assess the claim for any disputes and step in if necessary.

If you are injured whilst working overseas, you must tell your supervisor about the injury immediately.

You will have 30 days to inform your employer from the date of the incident. Then, you may have to fill out a report outlining the important details.

You should also seek medical attention and keep hold of any medical documents from your visits. You may need these later on to show as evidence.

Looking For A Defense Base Act Lawyer To Represent You?

 At Barnes Law Firm, we help individuals win the compensation they deserve. No one should suffer due to the negligence of others. 

Our skilled team of Defense Base Act lawyers are on hand to guide you through the process of making a claim, and we will make sure that your rights are fully protected.

If you’re looking for a Defense Base Act lawyer to represent you or would like to find out more information about DBA claims, get in touch for a free consultation today and a member of our team will be happy to advise you.