Workers’ Compensation for Civilian Employees and Military Contractors

Workers’ Compensation for Civilian Employees and Military Contractors

Jul 8, 2021 | Defense Base Act, Workers' Comp

If you are injured on the job, it is vital to understand your rights to workers’ compensation. This is doubly important if you are a civilian employee or military contractor working with the US military.

What is covered under the DBA, and what do you need to know? 

Workers’ Compensation

Under the Defense Base Act (DBA), overseas employees are compensated for disability, medical, and death. It would be a good idea to read up on the specifications of the DBA.

Essentially, if you are disabled or injured while working overseas for the US government, you are probably entitled to workers’ compensation. You will need to notify your employer of your injury in writing by filing an LS-201 form. To file a claim for compensation, you need to fill out form LS-203.

Civilian Employees and Military Contractors

Who does the DBA cover for worker’s compensation? There are quite a few specifics, but the gist is this: you are generally covered if you are working overseas for military or national defense purposes in federal civilian employment jobs.

Military contractors and civilian employees are liable for workers’ compensation if they are working on military bases, war-related public work contracts, or other jobs related to the equipment and welfare of the US military. Employees not covered under the DBA include:

  • Employees subject to the Federal Employees Compensation Act
  • Employees engaged in agriculture, domestic service, or not generally in the trade of working for military purposes
  • A master or member of a crew of any vessel

Get Medical Help ASAP

Whatever may happen, it is imperative to get immediate medical help if necessary. You can read more about DBA claims and Defense Base Act lawyers, but getting written documentation of your injury or disability is very important. Oftentimes, visiting a doctor is necessary before you can even fill out the aforementioned forms, so it is important to get this done as soon as possible.

Additionally, your health is very important. Even if you are worried about compensation or payment, you should always seek medical help when injured. Delay could worsen your injury, delay your path towards compensation and filing claims, and perhaps even derail the legal proceedings completely, depending on how long you wait. Get in to see a doctor as soon as possible, and get that ball rolling!

Research Your Legal Options

Navigating the mired channels of bureaucratic law can be difficult. While researching and reading in-depth articles on the DBA are great first steps, you will probably need the aid of professionals. It can be tough to figure out who counts as civilian employees, who counts as military contractors, and who is ineligible for benefits under the DBA.

Strongly consider getting expert legal help with your DBA claim. They can walk you through your various avenues and rights and see whether you qualify for a workers’ comp claim under the DBA.

If you’re interested in filing a claim or want more help figuring out your options, contact us. Our legal professionals will be happy to help you get the best results you can.