Defense Base Act Personal Injury Legal Services

Defense Base Act Personal Injury Legal Services

Jul 23, 2021 | Defense Base Act

You’ve been told that your personal injury case qualifies you for help under the Defense Base Act. So what do you do now?

How do you find personal injury legal services who are qualified to handle your DBA claim? And what exactly can they do for you?

If you’ve been worrying over questions like these, we can help. We want to make sure you get the adequate compensation you deserve.

So, below, we’ll explain in full detail how to obtain the legal services you need to get your DBA claim processed. To learn what you need to know, read this guide.

Who Qualifies For Protection Under the Defense Base Act?

The Defense Base Act covers civilian employees who suffer scheduled or unscheduled injuries while working for the government/at a military base outside of the USA. Basically, if such individuals are disabled or seriously injured during this work, they are eligible for DBA compensation.

For example, you may be a private contractor that the military has hired. Or, you may work for a private security company that is installed on a military base. 

What Types of Injuries Does the Defense Base Act Cover?

There are two categories of injuries covered by this act: scheduled and unscheduled. Scheduled means that the injury has severed or destroyed one or more major body parts, such as arms, legs, and eyes/other organs.

Unscheduled refers to injuries that permanently disable without the loss of limbs or organs. Examples of unscheduled injuries include full/partial paralysis, brain damage, and PTSD.

The DBA also covers disablement that’s caused by the aggravation of a pre-existing condition. In the event that DBA-covered work leads to death, a claim may be filed by the worker’s surviving next-of-kin.

Claim Processing Is Not Automatic

If you do qualify for coverage under the DBA, you won’t receive this coverage automatically. That is, the injured worker/surviving family is responsible for getting their claim started and processed.

How Do You Get Started?

First, notify your employer immediately of the injury. Specifically, submit to them a written claim on Form LS-201. This must be done within 30 days of the date the injury occurred.

Then, submit a completed Form LS-203 to your local OWCP office. This must be done within one year of the injuring incident. But it’s best to do so as soon as possible.

Hire Personal Injury Legal Services to Help Process Your Claim

Giving notice must be done first because it’s the worker’s responsibility and it’s time-sensitive. After this, the most urgent thing to do is to get professional legal help.

This will ensure that no mistakes are made when processing the claim. It should also maximize the benefits that the injured party receives. When choosing an attorney, be sure that they specialize in DBA cases. 

Get the Personal Injury Legal Services You Need For Your DBA Claim

If you need personal injury legal services to help with your DBA claim, don’t hesitate to act. Get the help you need by contacting Barnes Law Firm right now.