DBA Details: How Do I File a Defense Base Act Claim?

DBA Details: How Do I File a Defense Base Act Claim?

Jan 15, 2021 | Defense Base Act

When you’ve been injured, you deserve help. 

The federal government provides for its soldiers. One of the ways it delegates resources is through the Defense Base Act. If you are hurt on a defense base overseas, you may be entitled to compensation. 

But many people who get injured never file claims. Get the facts you need so you can get covered. Here is a quick guide on how to file a Defense Base Act claim. 

The Basics of the Defense Base Act

The Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act covers employees who get injured on American vessels. Congress passed the Defense Base Act to expand on this coverage.

The DBA covers employees who get injured on any defense base or overseas territory occupied by the United States. You do not have to be a soldier. The DBA covers employees who perform public work under a contract with the United States. 

The DBA provides medical and death benefits to covered employees. Compensation is available for partial and total disability. Benefits can be substantial, with the government paying millions for death and total disability. 

The DBA covers physical and psychological conditions. The government has compensated employees for PTSD, depression, and sexual assault. 

The First Steps to File a Defense Base Act Claim

As soon as an accident happens, you should get medical attention. Go to a doctor immediately. Get a full check-up, even if your injury seems limited to one part of your body. 

Document everything. Take photographs and videos of your injuries. Get copies of your medical and prescription records. 

Talk to witnesses about what caused your injuries. Get them to record their experiences, and keep in touch with them as you file your claim. The more people who can vouch for you, the more likely it is for you to receive a claim. 

Report every injury you sustain. If your condition worsens, your supervisor and employer have your injury documented. Make sure your supervisor files the correct report, including the LS-201 form, which serves as an official injury notice. 

The Next Steps 

When an employer receives a written report of injury, they must contact the Department of Labor. They submit a form, and your DBA claim process can begin. 

You will need to fill out additional paperwork. Take the time and fill out all documents. You can keep copies of anything you write, and you should do so. 

Do not say or write anything that can compromise your case. Try to work, but try not to talk to anyone about your case. Adhere to deadlines for filing and completing documents. 

A lawyer can help you navigate through the process. They can negotiate with your employer and insurer. They can help you meet deadlines for filing documents. 

You can contact a lawyer at any stage of your claim process. Give them all paperwork and information you’ve collected. 

Filing a Claim

An injury is disorientating. The last thing you should think about is how you will pay for medical treatment. Resolve that problem by learning how to file a Defense Base Act claim. 

The Defense Base Act covers injuries sustained during work on a military base. It covers accidents, intentional injuries, and mental conditions. 

When you get injured, get help immediately. Talk to witnesses and report the injury to your supervisor. Start filling out forms and meet your deadlines.

Talk to a lawyer when you need help. Barnes Law Firm is one of the nation’s leading Defense Base Act law firms. Contact us for a free consultation, or call us at 713-652-4002.