3 Most Common Types of DBA Claims

3 Most Common Types of DBA Claims

Oct 27, 2022 | Defense Base Act, PTSD

Can you believe that there are well over 170,000 active duty military personnel who are stationed abroad?

While your home may be thousands of miles away, that doesn’t mean you have fewer rights. Instead, you may be eligible for compensation according to the Defense Base Act. Simply put, this is designed to protect people who are working abroad under a government contract by giving them the compensation they need.

Are you wondering if one or more possible claims apply to your situation? Keep reading to learn all about the 3 most common types of DBA claims.


When it comes to DBA claims, PTSD is one that’s seen time and time again. Before filing any kind of claim, it’s essential to see a doctor as soon as possible. That way, you can get a medical professional’s opinion.

If you’ve been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder, then you should seek legal guidance. You shouldn’t hire just any lawyer. It’s crucial to work with a Defense Base Act attorney who knows the laws and regulations to a T.

They can help you file the claim and ensure that everything is in order.

2. Bodily Injury

Aside from an injury of the mind, it’s also possible to file a claim due to one or more bodily injuries. If there was an accident on base, for instance, then you should file a report and have copies of all the necessary paperwork.

In addition to an accident report, you’ll also need a medical report after your condition has been assessed by a doctor.

To ensure that you have the best chance of having your claim accepted, it’s a good idea to work with a Defense Base Act lawyer every step of the way.

3. Tinnitus

DBA claims due to tinnitus are another common occurrence. Tinnitus may not sound like much at first glance, but it can end up becoming debilitating, especially if it is severe.

Whether you were never given earplugs at all or you had defective dual-ended 3M earplugs, Defense Base Act lawyers can help you build a strong case. That way, you can get the compensation that you deserve.

As with PTSD and bodily injury claims, it’s crucial to see a qualified doctor as soon as possible. Sometimes it’s even necessary to see more than one doctor since opinions can differ every now and then.

Are You Ready to File DBA Claims?

Now that you’ve learned all about the three most common types of DBA claims, you can work with an attorney to file the claim. If you get denied, then your attorney can help you build a case and represent it in a court of law on your behalf.

Barnes Law Firm specializes in DBA claims and can fight to get you the compensation you deserve. We also specialize in maritime law, vehicular accidents, workplace injuries, and more.

We’d love to hear about your case and talk about the possibility of moving forward. Please feel free to contact us.