The Barnes Law Firm,LLP in Houston, Texas, represents spouses, descendants, and family members in wrongful death claims in the Houston area, including Sugarland, Missouri City, Baytown, The Woodlands, Pasadena, Channelview, Katy, Texas City, Laporte, and Deer Park whose loved ones may have been the victim of a wrongful death.
When a person dies as a result of the negligent or wrongful act of another, his or her loved ones may pursue what is known as a “wrongful death” claim. If the person was not killed instantly, his or her loved ones may also bring what is known as a “survival action” on the decedent’s behalf. A successful wrongful death claim allows a decedent’s loved ones to require the wrongdoer to compensate them for the financial and emotional hardship caused by the person’s death. A successful survival action allows a decedent’s loved ones to require the wrongdoer to compensate the decedent’s estate for the medical expenses incurred and the conscious physical pain and mental anguish endured by the decedent.
Any number of situations may give rise to a wrongful death claim and survival action including, but not limited to:
- Car and Truck Accidents;
- Plane crashes;
- Medical negligence;
- Nursing home abuse;
- Exposure to toxic chemicals or materials;
- Use of defective and dangerous products; and
- Consumption of dangerous over-the-counter or prescription medications.
In Texas, the persons able to pursue a wrongful death claim and survival action include the deceased’s:
- Surviving spouse;
- Children; and
- Parents or
- The Administrator or Executor of the decedent’s estate
Loved ones successful in their wrongful death suit and survival action may be able to recover money for:
- The deceased’s medical expenses;
- Funeral and burial expenses;
- The deceased’s conscious mental and physical pain and suffering (actually considered a ‘survival action’);
- Loss of the deceased’s financial support and benefits for his or her expected lifetime (income, pension, medical coverage);
- Increased expenses incurred (such as for paying someone to perform the duties previously performed by the homemaker); and/or
- Loss of consortium, companionship, care, guidance and affection.
In some cases involving gross negligence or malicious acts, a decedent’s loved ones may also be able to recover punitive damages (damages intended to punish the wrongdoer).
If you or a loved one has suffered as a result of a wrongful death, call The Barnes Law Firm,LLP in Houston Texas to discuss your legal options at 800-494-1514 or local 713-234-1620.
There is no charge for the initial consultation, and if The Barnes Law Firm,LLP agrees to handle your case, we will work diligently to represent you on a contingency fee basis, which means we get paid for our services only if there is a monetary recovery of funds.
If you believe you may have a wrongful death claim contact the Barnes Law Firm,LLP for a free case evaluation . Whether you live in Houston, Sugarland, Missouri City, Pearland, Kemah, Baytown, The Woodlands, Pasadena, Channelview, Katy, Texas City, Laporte, Deer Park, or anywhere throughout the Houston area, contact the Barnes Law Firm,LLP to assess your wrongful death claim.